Hi, my name is Mike Socarras and I just wrote a new book on progressions in every key.
Get it here: AMAZON
you can find me at mikesoca.com
Both are my websites. I am a guitarist, composer, instructor and writer. I like to write guitar lessons and post them on my blog. I also post self help and motivational articles as well.
My youtube channel is youtube.com/mrmikesoca
My Facebook page is mikesocarras
My Instagram is mikesocarras
Profile Tag Cloud:
An actual songwriting lesson. To learn and not apply is not to learn.
Objective: To write an entire harmonic piece in the key of E Major.
Skill Level: From beginner to intermediate level. Even advanced players may find something useful in this lesson.
Optional Outro or Chorus extension
The chords in the key of E Major can be used to sound bright and happy but can also be darkened by using the minor chords of the key. Heres a tip. You can start the intro with a C# minor progression or even a simple chord, drop down to the B and go into the verse.
- Pick 4 or more chords for each section.
- You can reverse the order of the chords for different sections.
- Make use of the chord extensions. At least one in each section.
- Write it out on paper first. Sketch it out with a pencil.
- If you want to add melody, sketch out on paper, a curved line with the exact curve of the melody you hear in your head over the chords you have written down.
- (Optional) For the bridge or choruses implement a meter change. From 3/4 to 4/4 or 5/4. Even 7/8, 9/8 or 11/8 to spice things up a bit.
- Learn each section.
- Rehearse it until you feel you can play it on video without screwing up.
- Go back and rewrite the entire song making sure each section sounds good and flows into the next section.
- Record it in mp3 or video.
- Post for feedback. You can post it here and Ill gladly comment on it. We can even collaborate if you wish.
You can do this with the melody as well. You can do this for any key and any song you already know or you can even use a cover song and make it your own.
I’ll leave you with 2 quotes that inspired me today.
Enthusiasm is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string. - Pele
I am the Great White Buffalo and I play an American made Gibson guitar that can blow your head clean off at 100 paces. - Ted Nugent